Sunday, February 25, 2007

Thoughts on attraction

I've actually had a conversation with a couple of my friends on this subject, but I just really wanted to take a few moments and write it out on here, and if anyone actually reads this thing, hopefully get some feedback on it all. The topic is, where does a friendship cross into the realm of something more?

When I was talking to one of my friends a while ago, I mentioned to her that I really wanted the next girl I dated to be a really good friend first. My problem is that I've dated a few gals who probably wouldn't have been my friend, had it not been for the "dating" thing. Yes, I know that it's really sad, but it's the truth. So, that was my new mantra for relationships. Friends first.

However, upon talking to another of my friends, a painful realization dawned. Given this whole "friends first" philosophy, would I ever actually get to be in a relationship again? I really think that the whole philosophy sounds great on the surface, but once you get down a couple of layers, it becomes quite flawed. My problem is that I am really big on the friendships. If there is someone who I feel is really special to me and that I feel should be part of the rest of my life (not even in a relationship sense, just a person who becomes extremely important to me), I place that person on a level that is out of my dating range. Yes, I move those people into an "undatable" category. Looking at it, I feel really confused. I mean, it should be those people that I technically should date, since it is those people that I am truly close to. But I have such a high value on the level on non-relationship intimacy that I am afraid to risk it for anything more. Interesting, no?

1 Comments:

At 4:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Friendship are a hard one. You can either become attracted to the person-which can be a bad thing if they don't return your affection or you can do like what you are doing.
Have you ever tried just becoming friends with someone you are dating?
attraction is good to a point but after all is said and done what is left?
Or perhaps you are just afraid of that much intimacy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home