Friday, November 10, 2006

Curse of the insomniac

So even after telling Emily I wouldn't, here I am, eating shrimp stir fry at a little past midnight. A little while ago (actually a bit still but not quite as much once I started eating) I was a bit tipsy off of eggnog and spiced rum. I'm not talking about only your ordinary spiced rum here, either. For every drink I made, I mixed a shot of Morgans with a half shot of Stroh's. For those of you who don't know, Stroh's is a very strong spiced rum, but it has more of a butterscotch flavor to it. And, by strong, I mean 160 proof, or 80%. After having a few of those, I was quite a bit talkative tonight. Well, I'm here writing my blog now, so I guess there is no "was" about it. I'm still pretty talkative.

Today was a pretty bouncy day. I didn't wake up until about noon, which was a wonderful relief, but is also a big reason why I'm chit-chatty at about 1 in the morning. Anyways, in my CSE section today I got my midterm back, with my score of 80. I don't remember if I wrote this already, because I actually knew the score last night, since they post the scores on the myUW page. I was a little upset about what I lost half of those points on. On one of the problems, I had to reverse the order of a stack of numbers, but after going through the exam, I came back to the problem with only a couple of minutes left and wrote the code for reversing the stack rather quickly. The only problem was, I had already done it. I guess my first time through I did it but completely forgot about it. So, since the stack was reversed twice, I lost 10 out of 25 points on that problem. I thought that was a rather harsh mark, but at the same time, I understand that a good portion of your score depends on getting the right output from your program. The other ten points in the exam were things that I figured I would miss, mostly in the analyzing inheritance part (for those of you who are going to take 143, you'll find out what I'm talking about). All in all, I got almost the score I expected, an 85. And I could have gotten it, too, if I had ran out of time. Funny how that works.

My EE lab was pretty interesting, too. It took Nick and I about an hour to set up the first circuit and to get it going. It was really weird how everything happened. Nick and I had both made the same circuit just for the hell of it, and neither one did the correct thing. The strange things is, both of our circuits did the same "wrong" thing. As Nick was trying to get his to work, he wired up his amplifier power supplies wrong and fried it. So, we pulled my amplifier out of my circuit and stuck it his to make sure it was the amplifier and nothing else in the circuit. And the damn thing worked. Neither one of us could explain any of it. It was just the damnedest thing. After that, the lab went along rather smoothly. We were able to assemble our other circuits and they all worked just as we expected them to. It was just that one hour of one "what the hell" after another. Strange. I think we just needed to sacrifice an amplifier to appease the EE gods or something.

I've also been getting a bit more into the Facebook thing (actually Emily is gradually prodding me along to get more into it). Emily got me to go through my classes and add the people that I know (which totals about 8 people so far that I know the last name of) tonight, and I already have one response. Yay... I don't know, the whole Facebook thing really isn't that big to me, but it may get there if I actually make some friends and get them on there. We shall see.

Well crap, it's 1 now. I still don't have a title for this post, either. Heh. I'll just throw a lame title up there and call it good. Goodnight all, even those who have already gone to bed. Dream well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home